Monday, June 17, 2013

Phobias



I never close my eyes in public. Never. Ever. Close. My. Eyes. In. Public. Not in church during prayer. Not during meditation. Not when I'm doing relaxation exercises with a group. Why? Fear? Paranoia? Anxiety? Okay, pick one.

That explains why I never slept in the hospital when my boys were born. The very thought of someone coming in when I was asleep was enough to sent me into a full blown panic attack!

Hospitals? Totally freak me out. The absolute worst combo there--germs and strangers wandering around. Did I mention I'm also a germaphobe? Yeah, I know. I'm the mom who carries antibacterial wipes EVERYWHERE and avoids public toilets if at all possible. And heaven forbid someone coughs or sneezes near me!! Or mentions they've had ___________(fill in with the latest bug going around)! That's enough to make me break out the germ killing spray!! I was accused of disinfecting my oldest child when anyone got too close. I did NOT! I just bathed him as soon as we got home. So there!

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm a little over the top. Okay, fine, a lot over the top! But (most of) those who know me, love me. Antibacterial wipes and all! Hey, I'm the one the rest of the group comes to for medicine and wipes when we're out in public!

And the most amusing part of this, I have three children, two of whom have asthma (not the funny part) and CANNOT TOLERATE MOST CLEANER SMELLS!!!!!! It's God's way of telling me to get a grip, isn't it?

Oh, and my three children are boys. Boys like dirt, creepy critters and the like. Scary stuff for a germaphobe! But I'm getting better. Really, I am. Yesterday, I picked up a turtle (with gloves on....me, not the turtle) and moved him out of harms way. As my kids would say, "Nah nah nah boo boo!"

Happy reading and blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment